03 Oct Leadership Really Matters – Applying innovation to the educational crisis today
Schools in crisis
There is a crisis breaking in education, as a result of two major events:
- Large numbers of Baby Boomers are retiring, leaving a multitude of leadership positions vacant. Unfortunately, too many Gen X and Gen Y teachers are not prepared to step into leadership positions, or have been actively discouraged from pursuing leadership because they are considered too young or inexperienced. It is not uncommon to see teachers waiting 25 years before feeling confident enough to apply for a leadership position!
- Technology is moving forward rapidly. With such a large number of unique challenges and disruptions taking hold, effective leaders are more important than ever before. Despite this, the complexities of preparing schools and students for the 21st Century have left many teachers believing the challenge of leadership is too difficult for them.
The combination of these two factors is spelling disaster, leaving schools rudderless in challenging times.
The solution is innovation
Innovative thinking and creative leadership are the only way for schools to move into the future. Schools need leaders who are passionate and forward-thinking, with 21st-century leadership skills to help prepare students for the challenges of a changing world.
The good news is that changeover in school leadership is creating opportunities for a new generation of leaders to bring their unique insight and passion to the table, and for long-needed change to take place. This is seeing schools move from a hierarchical, 20th Century approach to a 21st Century approach, embracing opportunity, technology, change, disruption, diversity, and a broader range of skills.
This relies on new leaders who are passionate, student-focused, and entrepreneurial embracing the challenge of leadership and being the best they can be. Passionate educators just like you!
How Leadership Really Matters can help
Whether you’re a new, established or aspiring school leader, Leadership Really Matters is a powerful tool to help you move forward in your career and really make a difference in your school. This book will fast track you to success as a school leader, providing you with leadership ideas, techniques and strategies that are drawn from decades of experience and proven to work.
In its pages, you will discover:
- The seven keys for success as a school leader
- The characteristics of leadership that captures hearts and minds
- How to master the art of focus, and empower others to maximise their focus (chapter 2)
- The importance of self-leadership and management of your own life (chapter 3)
- How to build effective teams and foster collaborative genius (chapter 4)
- The most effective leadership styles in education, and why just one isn’t enough (chapter 4)
- The importance of creativity and innovation (chapter 5)
- The disruptions that are reshaping learning (chapter 5)
- Why it’s crucial that you take action and build momentum before the timing is perfect (chapter 5)
- A five-step plan to take your school into the future (chapter 6)
- And much more!
If you’re serious about school leadership, this book will kickstart your professional development. It should be part of the professional learning plans of anyone who cares about the future of education. The best leadership books can change your life and your career, but this book goes a step further, laying out a plan to revolutionise schools and prepare students for the future.
Maxine Driscoll is a passionate educator with a focus on preparing schools, teachers and students for the future.
Maxine has over thirty years experience in education, and fifteen years as a principal and head of school. She has worked in school leadership in both Australia and Asia, and in 2017 founded the Australian International School in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Maxine also spends time training other school leaders through speaking engagements around the world, workshops in schools, online courses in leadership, one-on-one coaching, and through her website and blog.
All the principles and ideas Maxine presents in her book come from real world experience, and are used in her school and in her own life as a school leader.
Praise for Leadership Really Matters
“As a Director on the Board of one of the most prestigious schools in Australia, I can honestly say that this book is a must-read for current and aspiring young principals.” – Dr. Sarah Leach, Board of Director, The Geelong College (AUS)
“The number of meaningful examples from Maxine’s experience stands out as a huge asset in this book. If you are ready to take on a leadership position, this book will certainly provide you with inspiration for your leadership journey as well as the practical tools and strategies to ensure your success. This book will work as a mentor for you for years.” – Marie Alcock PhD, Co-Author of Bold Moves for Schools: How We Create Remarkable Learning Environments ASCD Publication, February 2017
“This book is packed full with [Maxine’s] wit, wisdom, and experiences from a lifetime of school leadership. Grab it with both hands, and read it with close attention. It will have a profound impact on your own success as a school leader.” – Dr. Richard Adams Engelhardt PhD, Honorary President Board of Governors at Traidhos Three-Generation Community for Learning & PTIS
“Schools today need to change to meet the needs of 21st century learners, and this book is full of practical insights and strategies to help you do just that. This is a book that every aspiring educator must have! It will change your life and more importantly the lives of students at your school.” – Callum Stuart, Vice Principal, Concordian International School (TH)
“Driscoll is beyond enthusiastic about the work of leading schools and her energy and support of those taking the lead shows in every chapter.” – Jennifer Abrams, Communications Consultant and Author of Having Hard Conversations and The Multigenerational Workplace: Communicate, Collaborate and Create Community.