31 Dec 2019 – YOUR BEST YEAR YET!
It’s always exciting to look forward to a new year, isn’t it? A time of hope, opportunity, possibility and challenge is opening up for you.
It’s also a fabulous time to look back and reflect on where you have come from and what you have achieved in the year just past. I hope you’ve made the time to have a few quiet, restful and reflective days as we welcome 2019.
I decided to go camping in the Australian bush with friends and family for a few days to unwind and reflect. After a few days catching up on sleep and ignoring social media & emails, I found myself thinking about the possibilities, opportunities and challenges that the New Year will bring.
How about you? Have you made some time as the New Year begins to think ahead, dream and prepare for the opportunities to come? The strategies below may be helpful for you.
TOP STRATEGIES TO MAKE 2019 YOUR BEST YEAR YET!
- Reflect on the year ending. What have you achieved? What was really difficult but you got through it? What have you learnt? What is there that you still want to achieve? Write down the 10 things you have learnt about yourself over the past 12 months.
- Review your list and look to see if there are any hidden opportunities or possibilities for you to grow in 2019.
- Remember that you always have a choice. Victims blame while leaders choose responsibility and take action. Choose actions that will make you a better person and add to the greater good. Actions that are aligned to your values and reflect what you love to do.
- Always be a learner. A Growth Mindset will set you up as a learner and ensure ongoing success in life. Yes, there will be tough times but a Growth Mindset ensures strategies to keep learning and growing. A Fixed Mindset will stall your growth and development. Ultimately a Fixed Mindset will affect your self-belief and railroad your self-talk telling you that you are a failure. NOTE: You can choose your mindset.
- Choose GRIT, that is, effort, hard work, determination, persistence and resilience will make you smarter and more talented. Yes! Ongoing effort and hard work will make your life amazing!
- Believe in yourself. THINK BIG! Be courageous, apply TIP # 4 and always reflect on what you have learnt (even in your tough times). You will thrive!
- It’s your future and that’s important but it’s not always about you! It’s about what you can do to help others grow and develop. Be sure to empower others to make a positive difference too.
- Stretch yourself beyond your current capabilities. YOLO and self-improvement rocks.
- Know that things will get tough! Focus on what you are learning and how you can improve. Be creative and look for different solutions. You’ll be surprised at how this motivates you to continue to grow. Re-read Tip 4.
- Link your challenges with what you love to do. Take some time to unlock your passion/s and start planning how to maximize them.
- Seek constructive feedback. Be open to the messages that life sends your way. Reflect on them to increase your self-awareness and self-management. Be brave and seek out those you trust and ask them what your blind spot may be. Consider carefully what you choose to do with the feedback. Choose the path that keeps you learning. If you really feel unsure, contact me here to find out more about my Leadership and Executive Leadership Coaching.
- Always look for strategies to learn more and to work your way through obstacles. Never give up. NEVER! You will surprise yourself at the person you will become.
Like to learn more about Leadership in the 21st Century?
Why not sign up to my self-paced, personalized online 21st Century Leadership Course. You can take it anywhere and at anytime! I’ve created a huge reduction just for January to help you with your 2019 goals. Check it out here
Download "Top 3 Challenges Facing School Leaders today" and learn how to overcome them.
Receive the white paper: